xmodmap: different keys have different keycode semantics?

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Feb 11 13:19:57 PST 2009

Hello,

I noticed a very strange thing about xmodmap. Apparently, the
semantics of the

  keycode <nr> = <keysyms>

command depend on the keycode.

For example, when I assign the keysyms like this:

  keycode 25 = 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  keycode 38 = a b c d e f g h i j

I get the following results (generated keysyms).

Keycode                          25 38 | 25 38 | 25  38 | 25  38
Key                               0  a |  2  c |  8   g |  0   i
Key + Shift                       1  b |  3  d |  9   h |  1   j
Key + ISO_Level3_Shift            4  a |  6  e |  8   g |  4   i
Key + Shift + ISO_Level3_Shift    5  b |  7  f |  9   h |  5   j

(successive columns are generated by pressing ISO_Next_Group once in
between)

So while the key with keycode 25 cycles between 3 groups, 2 of which
allow the use of the level shift modifier, the key with keycode 38
apparently cycles between 4 groups, and none of them allows me use the
modifier.

Is there a reason for this behavior? And how can I change it? I would
very much like to configure all my keys with modifier-aware 3 groups...

Best,

   -Nikolaus