How To Disable input driver

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 12:37:44 PST 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, linux multitouch wrote:
> Hi
> I am using Xorg version - 1.5.2
> I am developing kernel driver which create /dev/eventX - file.
> when i insert the kernel driver X11 thinks it's a mouse.
> how can i configure the X11 to ignore the driver (/dev/eventX)
> thanks

Assuming your Xorg server is configured via hal, you can place a file in
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/ that removes the driver key.

I use the following file to suppress a joystick from being recognized as an
X11 input device:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input">
      <!-- Match on anything you like from lshal -->
      <match key="input.product" contains="SomeProduct Identifier">
        <remove key="info.capabilities"/>
        <remove key="input.x11_driver"/>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Similarly you could use an fdi file to instruct Xorg to use your own input
driver. Have a look at the fdi files provided for e.g. synaptics touchpads.

HTH

Magnus Kessler