[RFC] XI2 draft protocol specification (v 0.1)

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Wed Feb 11 07:32:16 PST 2009

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Thanks for the comments. All your suggestions have been added, but I'll
> refrain from commenting on them much (the spec has to work on it's own
> eventually).
No prob. Some details follow though.

>  FP1616
> -        Fixed point decimal in 16.16 format as 32 bit integer. The client is
> -        required to convert to 16.16 decimal format.
> +        Fixed point decimal in 16.16 format as 32 bit integer in the form of
> +        (value * 10e15). The client is required to convert to 16.16 decimal
> +        format.
TBH, that one puzzles me even more. In particular, what is decimal as
opposed to binary? Can you point me to code that does what you describe?
Or maybe you meant (value * 1<<16)?

> -    HIERARCHYCHANGETYPE { CreateMaster, RemoveMaster, ChangeAttachment }
> +    HIERARCHYCHANGETYPE { CreateMaster, RemoveMaster, SlaveAttached,
> +                          SlaveDetached }
>
>      CHANGEMODE { Float, Attach }
I think that one has to go then, too.
Ah, and: CM, RM are imperative, SA/SD are passive and past. Pasto?

> +    client. RawDevice events are only generated for slave devices and provide
> +    both the raw data as supplied by the driver and transformed data as used
> +    in the server. Transformations include, but are not limited to, axis
> +    clipping and acceleration.
> +    Transformed valuator data may be equivalent to raw data. In this case,
> +    both raw and transformed valuator data is provided.
Much better.

Cheers,

Simon