XKB - xkbcomp can't find keycode includes (Bug?)

Jacek Luczak difrost.kernel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 01:52:21 PST 2009

Hi All,

xkbcomp fail with message:
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "xfree86" for keycodes include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning keycodes file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

The question is, does it look for those includes in directory specified with
--with-xkb-path?

I've got xkeyboard-config (ver. 1.5) build with --with-xkb-base set to
/etc/X11/xkb and --with-xkb-path (Xorg-server 1.5.99.902) also set to same
directory. I was trying to use setxkbmap (build with
--with-xkb-config-root=/etc/X11/xkb) but this didn't work. Finally I've managed
to fix (or workaround) that issue by creating symlink /usr/share/X11/xkb ->
/etc/X11/xkb - {datadir}/X11/xkb is mentioned as default for --with-xkb-patch
xorg-server configure option. So does this option work? Maybe it's responsible
for sth different or this is a bug.

-Jacek