save-under support

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Feb 5 08:02:56 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 09:32 -0500, Patrick O'Donnell wrote:

> >As a trivial workaround, you can enable compositing for your own windows
> >with XCompositeRedirectSubwindows(dpy, win, CompositeRedirectAutomatic).
> >If a compositing manager is active, this will have no effect; otherwise,
> >it will behave essentially the same as bs's WhenMapped state, except,
> >you know.  Good.
>
> Thanks.  I'll look into this.  Unfortunately for me, our toolkit and
> apps must work with many different kinds of X servers of many
> vintages, so I can't really depend on XCompositeRedirectSubwindows
> being present.  (I'm still working on finding a good explication of
> the compositing protocol and API...)

Yeah, you'd need to do the standard dlopen() tricks to find
libXcomposite.  See also Aaron's reply, I named the wrong function.

The protocol documentation for Composite is less dire than some of our
other protocol docs, and is approximately a 1:1 mapping to the
libXcomposite API.  See:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/compositeproto/tree/compositeproto.txt

- ajax