Current tinderbox regression (xhost)

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Mon Feb 2 22:14:43 PST 2009

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:24:14AM -0200, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
> wrote:
>>   Anyway, my freedesktop account appears to not be functional,
>> so I will not be able to correct it now. Hopefully by tomorrow,
>> or later tonight it is corrected...
>
> Yes, I made the decision.  Per IRC:
> 00:57 < whot> pcpa: please start sending patches to the list before
>               committing
> 01:32 < daniels> pcpa: i've removed your commit bit, please send future
>                  patches through the list

  I hope this is not a final decision. And would hope for a
more formal message, other then a notification in IRC while
I am marked as away, and due to no response in 30 minutes
have my commit rights removed.

  The problem in xf86-input-evdev was that I only tested
the "make distcheck correction" using --prefix=/usr. I don't
disagree that for this special case, given that xf86-input-evdev
is actively maintained by you and Peter, it would have been
better to first post the "janitor" patch to the list for
comments and approval.

  I even added a comment of what would be a more proper solution
(exactly what Dan Nicholson said in another email), but it still
is not what I believe is the proper solution to handle pkg-config
variables specifying directories (unfortunately I did not implement
that because the simpler, but wrong solution, worked in my test
case).

  I avoided making the "make distcheck" corrections in a batch
so that if any problems arised, it would be noticed earlier.
And posting a huge amount of frequently one liners, trivial
patches, would just add gratuitous noise to the list.

  Well, I just hope this is not the final response for voluntary
work on correcting make distcheck and other "trivial" problems
in the xorg packages.

> Cheers,
> Daniel

Paulo