client-side font rendering very very slow in X.org xserver 1.5.3 w/r200: massive fetches from VRAM, why?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Feb 2 01:47:30 PST 2009

Le Lun 2 février 2009 00:23, Nix a écrit :

>> I think the Fedora 12 cycle will probably start by mass bug-filling
>> against apps that need those symlinks.
>
> The annoying pedant in me looks at the 'exposing all our fonts' goal
> and
> wonders how you're planning to expose metafont fonts in fontconfig ;)
> but I guess if you define 'fonts' to be 'fonts that freetype can
> understand' this is a reasonable goal.

Yeah, fonts in metafont format are not concerned.

The TEX community seems to realise they need to use the same formats
as everyone else now anyway, all their recent work is OpenType (and
Unicode, and fontconfig: XETEX). The problem is more historic users
used to the previous
we-are-special-and-different-and-don't-work-with-anything-else state.

Another bug target will eventually apps that can not use TTF/OTF and
force us to ship the same fonts in multiple formats.

--
Nicolas Mailhot