Recent input changes

Ben Gamari bgamari at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:52:11 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Ben Gamari <bgamari at gmail.com> wrote:
> Strangely enough, before I login (in gdm) things seem to behave as
> they should. Directly after I login though (even before my own minimal
> ~/.Xmodmap has been loaded), the behavior I described earlier begins.
>
> - Ben

It's well-known what is said about assumptions and today I just
learned why. As it turns out, loading ~/.Xmodmap is one of the first
things that is done in the gnome session start-up. As it turns out,
moving my simple ~/.Xmodmap out of the way fixes the problem with my
modifiers (Ctrl functioning as Caps Lock, Alt not working at all,
etc.) It's a relief to know that the problem isn't difficult to work
around, however this does present the question of why my modmap is
ruining the modifier map. My ~/.Xmodmap simply remaps the Caps_Lock
key as Escape for use in vim,

$ cat ~/.Xmodmap
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Escape

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the reworked input
subsystem? Is this simply a regression? Thanks,

- Ben