dualhead and mixed rotation possible?

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Dec 28 10:57:51 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 04:40:09PM +0100, Martin Pirker wrote:
> Given a GM45 chipset, running dualhead with a DVI and VGA output.
>
> I failed so far to set up one screen (DVI) as normal output
> and the other (VGA) as 90° rotated - at the same time.

I've used a similar config on my laptop, with Intel GM965 graphics: one screen
(internal LVDS) straight, the other (VGA) 90° rotated.

There's a slight glitch: one pixel row on the rotated VGA screen shows garbage.
I haven't found the time to report a bug about it.

> Before I waste further time, is this actually supported at all,
> running a dualhead configuration with one screen "normal" and
> the other "vertical"?

Yes.

> With a GM45?

It's a non-Poulsbo Intel, so I'd expect it to be.

> (If yes - configuration hints welcome :-))

gnome-display-properties works for me, haven't bothered with command-line
xrandr lately.  Something like

  xrandr --output DVI1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --left-of DVI1 --rotate left

should work.

Marius Gedminas
--
Perl is not a programming language, it's a natural language that
computers understand.

Better than people, for the most part.
		-- Steve Simmons