My pretty unusual XRandR use case, where nobody but you has a chance of solving it. ^^

Navid Zamani navid.zamani at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 25 21:33:43 PST 2009

Hello,

I got a pretty unusual setup here:
I have a 4:3 CRT running at 1600x1200+0+0 with 101 DPI,
and a 16:9 projector running at 1024x768+1600+431 (yes, that’s
anamorphic, aka. with non-square pixels) which of course has a
projection size of something around 3m in width (I’d measure it out later).

So I have two very different DPIs and most importantly: Two different
pixel formats (square and non-square).
How in the world would I set that up properly?
--fbmm does only allow a global setting, and does not seem to do
anything anyway (tried 400x100 as a parameter, with no changes).
--dpi also is only global, but does not even allow different settings
for horizontal and vertical.
--scale uses a transformation matrix, which means the pixel
representation still is square but gets squished after rendering,
instead of rendering it onto non-square pixels in the first place. Which
results in the typical blurryness of the bicubic filter.
Also, since I usually don’t/can’t have the projector plugged in at boot
time, I can’t use xorg.conf’s DisplaySize setting. (Which, I guess,
would be ignored anyway because it now works with xrandr and ignores
those sections in xorg.conf.)

Please. Other then diving into the huge ton of program code that I don’t
understand, I’m at my wits’ end, and so are Google, the #xorg irc
channel, and some places where I asked.

Navid