Multiseat with VGAArbiter on 2 Radeon cards - found KMS

Steffen Schaumburg steffen at schaumburger.info
Tue Dec 22 09:49:26 PST 2009

Ok I just realised that KMS has to be activated in staging. So I tried
that now, but without success :(

So I tried 3 kernel configs now.

In common they have:
Kernel 2.6.32 (gentoo-sources)
xorg-server 1.7.3
using the xorg radeon/ati driver
identical xorg.conf and kdmrc (attached)
Both boot in text mode fine

The differences (all configs are attached):
1) had KMS and DRM off
2) DRM on
3) DRM and KMS on

Now the results vary quite a bit.

All of them start booting in textmode on the monitor connected to the
primary graphics card.
1 and 2 continue to boot and allow me to do a text login. However with
KMS on by default the monitor suddenly goes black (but not into standby)
during boot, I think when it starts loading the modules but I'm not
quite sure, it's hard to tell because the messages come so fast at that
point. However I can still login blindly. If I try to start KDM nothing
changes on the screens.

As said 1 and 2 let me login normally so here's what happens from then:
With the kernel without DRM I can start KDM and it displays on the
screen connected to the secondary card (note: this is the first entry in
kdmrc). I can then login and work on that monitor just fine, in fact I'm
writing this email from it.
With the kernel with DRM it's not so good. The second monitor turns on
but both just go blank and stay blank.

Note that in all of the scenarios I can always cause an orderly shutdown
by pressing the power button.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steffen