Pointer Acceleration

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Dec 20 13:51:28 PST 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 19 December 2009, Simon Thum wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I would tend to agree.  With modern high resolution mice, I have often
>>> wished I could set the gain to a below 1 condition.  My mouse now uses
>>> about a 1" x1.35" area of the pad, to cover a 1680x1250 screen, so its
>>> way too fast for this user.
>> I'm not sure I got it. What you describe is 'constant deceleration' (see
>> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration),
>> however the OP maintains it's not working properly.
>>
> It is not, in kde, if I set the pointer accel to 0.5, the slow motion is
> normal, the fast motion is slowed, and that 'taint' what we need. :)
KDE doesn't offer the full feature set of the X.org server. E.g. it
doesn't allow configuring multiple devices.

Essentially, what you describe is now a workaround - you're abusing
acceleration to scale your device. KDE alone won't let you do better.

> What we need is the ability to scale the input down, and then apply the accel
> rules as usual.  These 1600-3200 dpi optical mice will be the death of me
> yet!
Exactly what is implemented in X server 1.6 and above. See the wiki
page I gave above.

Since scaling down is now properly implemented, I figured the abuse case
wasn't worth keeping 100%. I _could_ place an extra case for those
configurations in the profile, but someone will complain even with that
and the old code is readily available, so what?

If there's popular demand for keeping those workaround configs, please
speak up everyone.

Cheers,

Simon