Is it normal that X consumes 800 MB RAM?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Dec 14 13:44:03 PST 2009

The longer the system runs, the more RAM X eats.  After about 5 hours of
uptime, I get this:

   http://i49.tinypic.com/wqu61j.png

That's about 800MB memory usage.  It gets worse as time passes.  Is this
normal?  This looks like some memory leak to me.  Does the graphics
driver play a role here?  I'm using AMD's binary blob for ATI cards (the
"radeon" driver doesn't support my card.)  Anything else that might be
going on?

This is on a Gentoo AMD64 system with X server 1.6.5, AMD Catalyst 9.11
drivers and kernel 2.6.31.6.  DE is KDE 4.3.4 (in case it matters.)