Is HandleSpecialKeys expected to work when xkeyboard is disabled?

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-fdo-xorg at employees.org
Fri Dec 11 05:09:12 PST 2009

This is with server version 1.6.1,  and the following evdev module:
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
as distributed in Mandriva 2009.

For various reasons I wish to operate with the XKEYBOARD extension
disabled,  so I've been experimenting with using the -kb option
or the XkbDisable config option.  What I am finding is that I
then cannot get VT switching (Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc) to operate.

This is despite if I do or do not have -retro on the command
line,  or trying the various combinations of the HandleSpecialKeys
and DontVTSwitch config options.

So given the games associated with the DontZap behaviour,
is it expected that VT switching with xkb disabled should
still be functional?

/phx