A couple of problem with xorg-server 1.7.3

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Dec 8 20:11:11 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:54:09AM +0800, Gregoire Gentil wrote:
> I'm using xorg-server 1.7.3 on an ARM device and I have a couple of
> problems. Perhaps I can get some hints from the mailing lists.
>
> First, since the version later than 1.5.3, X takes a very long time to
> start, especially I have a blank screen for almost seven seconds! :-( I
> would like to know how I can debug what X is trying to do during this
> very long time. Can I put more debug version especially with timing
> info? What can I do to investigate? I copy paste the Xorg.0.log file
> below.
>
> Secondly, I have a null driver loaded below because /dev/input/event3 is
> an accelerometer. Is there a way to tell X to discard
> a /dev/input/eventX reported by hal? Or is there a hal policy to tell X
> not to try this event?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration, search for
"remove key".

> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"CorePointer"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"ExplorerPS/2"
> 	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	Driver		"kbd"
> 	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
> 	Option		"XkbRules"		"xorg"
> 	Option		"XkbModel"		"pc105"
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"		"us"
> EndSection

Just FYI, the log says about those two sections:
    (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
    'vmmouse' will be disabled.

You can just remove them, they don't really serve a purpose in your setup.

> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option		"DontZap"		"False"
> EndSection

DontZap is the default since IIRC 1.6.1, not needed unless you want to
disable it extra-hard :)

Cheers,
  Peter