radeonhd blank screens

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 19:14:31 PST 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009, tsuraan wrote:
>> FWIW, this is also an ongoing problem for owners of the HD2400 Pro cards,
>> rv610's I think they are.  It can be triggered by sliding a window to the
>> right to touch the screen edge, or go completely off it.  Sometimes even
>> just
>> hitting the edge with the cursor is sufficient.
>
>Seriously, hitting the edge of the screen with your cursor can cause
>the screen to permanently blank?

Not permanently, but spastic as hell, off for 3 to 5 secs, on for 1/4 second
& back off.  If its just the curser, pulling it back from the edge of the
frame will fix it, but if you have half a terminal session shoved to one
side, then you are stuck locating the mouse and figuring which way to move it
to grab the top of the terminal window during the 250 milliseconds its
visible, & pull it back so its all on screen again.

This, TBT, has all the earmarks of a wild pointer getting stomped on by
something that doesn't own it.  Yeah, I play an expert on tv too. ;-)

>These drivers sound seriously
>unloved.

Yes, for the rv610 based cards in particular.  The guys have seemingly danced
all the way around it like its a pile of smelly poo.  Heck, Alex promised me
good drivers before Christmas.  2008 that is. ;)  This (radeonhd-1.25) is
usable, till the touchies start, then you may as well reboot cuz that is the
only thing that fixes it for a while.