xorg, Xvfb, ImageMagick - then beat your head against your desk!

Vector Thorn vector.thorn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:17:14 PST 2009

I'm launching this with apache, by hitting a php test page on ionisis.com,
and that php page calls the exec command which is supposed to launch a
virtual x (Xvfb), and then a firefox instance, and sleeps for 4 seconds, and
then uses import to grab a screenshot of the website. I've got this all in a
shell script, and if i exec the shell script from the console, as a USER
(me, or root), on my machine OR my server, all is fine; but when i have
APACHE exec it via php "exec", i keep running into various problems.

I've got ALMOST all of it sorted out right now . I had to create a
/var/www/.gnome/ and a /var/www/.gnome_private/ and a /var/www/.gnome/accels
directory that eliminated a LOT of errors, and now i actually get a
screenshot from it when using apache! However it is an EMPTY X screen, with
the old-school cross hatch background, and no firefox or import. Like i
said, i've tracked down a lot of the errors, and eliminated them. Here are
the latest errors (in total):

[^v^] cat /var/log/httpd/error_log | tail
xauth:  creating new authority file /tmp/xvfb_1_at_a_time
_XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: (l)stat failed for /tmp/.X11-unix (13)
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.X11-unix) failed, errno =
13
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for unix
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":66.0".
firefox: no process killed

I'm not sure why it's trying to create that directory when it is already
there; furthermore, why it is trying to create it when run by APACHE, but
not when run by a USER...

BTW, i've never used a mailing list before... Thanx!

--
Vector Thorn, Ionisis
513-549-5040

http://Ionisis.com