[OT] e-mail license

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Dec 2 06:19:10 PST 2009

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:07:50 +0100
Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud at mandriva.com> wrote:

> Did you know you're writing to a public mailing list ? So the content of
> your mail is not going to be "confidential" and "disclosure,
> distribution [and] copying" is going to happen. In fact is already
> happened.
>
> This message is disclosed in mailing list archives, like here
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-December/048266.html
>
> The license (it seems be a licence: it uses the same wording and sounds
> like) seems not adapted for Internet days ...
>
> I hope the SNCF (Société National des Chemins de Fer) is not going to
> enforce it ...

I don't know how this is handled in France, but in Switzerland, such
legal mambo jambo is invalid as the recipient has not agreed to it.
I assume from my knowledge of EU law, that the same is true for EU countries.

Beside, you can definitly not enforce something that you violated
yourself (ie telling not to distribute something that you alread published
to a public platform yourself). At least this is true in countries that do
not start with U and end with SA.

> For all: is there a policy about it ?

Ignore it.

			Attila Kinali