Ctrl+alt_bksp

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Dec 1 15:11:55 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:53:05AM -0800, Justin Mattock wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Renato Botelho <rbgarga at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Vandana Vuthoo
> > <vandana.vuthoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I am having Xserver as v 1.6 on my intel atom board, some how ctrl +
> >> alt + bksp doesnot restart my X server, Even setting setxkbmap -option
> >> terminate:ctrl-alt-bksp in xorg.conf doesnot help.
> >> Please provide you inputs.
> >> Regards,
> >> Vandana
> >
> > Try Alt Gr + SysRq + k
> >

> here you go:
> http://www.linuxinsight.com/key-sequence-to-kill-the-x-server-control-alt-backspace.html
> just read this today hope this helps.
> (hopefully I wrote in the url correct, if not  just go to http://lxer.com)
> still need to add the allow rules for copy/paste in SELinux...

sigh. and it's wrong too.
"Current default for X servers as shipped in various distributions is to not
enable the traditional Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination to kill the X
server."

The server has no say in it. in fact, the server _enables_ zapping by
default (see 737b49199a05299486064e6e762cf2a2f6f95be6). It's just that the
standard keymap does not include the zapping symbol and that can be added
through the appropriate options.
You can disable zapping in the server in which case having the symbol in
your keymap has no effect.

Cheers,
  Peter