F11: Why is Xorg with Intel 945 failing to allow 1600x1200 resolutions?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 25 14:17:13 PDT 2009

Dear Daniel,

Am Montag, den 24.08.2009, 10:35 -0700 schrieb Daniel B. Thurman:
> On Fedora 8/9, I was able to drop in my xorg.conf
> file into /etc/X11 directory and was able to get
> the X display to recognize the Monitor type and
> I get 1600x1200 resolution, but for some reason,
> I am not able to do this with Fedora 11.
>
> My monitor is a Hitachi CM715, and my onboard
> video chip is an Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated graphics
> controller.
>
> I have tried system-config-display & it seems
> to limit my resolution to 1280x1024.  I note with
> this tool, there is no possible way to change the
> vertical refresh rate.

Maybe this is GNOME or Fedora specific?

> I know that F8/9, Ubuntu 8/9, and Debian 5 works with
> 1600x1200 mode, I haven't tried Fedora 10, and Fedora
> 11 is limited to 1280x1024.
>
> It seems to me that xorg on F11 is a version that does
> not support 1600x1200 mode.
>
> I have supplied an attachment for Xorg.0.log with this post.
>
> How can I resolve this problem?

It looks like the EDID information advertise the 1600x1200 resolution.
Could you post your xorg.conf file? Could you test to just move the file
somewhere else and see what happens to start X without a configuration
file?

Could you post the version of the Intel driver in each distribution?

The next would probably compare the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If
this does not help and the version in Fedora 11 is the newest of all,
than you could try the Git version.

If this does not give any clues the best thing would be to open a ticket
in Bugzilla for the Intel driver and the developers will help you there.

Thanks,

Paul