X using 95% CPU (intel, latest git)

Andy Neitzke neitzke at post.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 20 12:09:33 PDT 2009

On 13 August 2009 Carl Worth wrote:

>   On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 06:01:34PM -0400, Andy Neitzke wrote:
> > My problem is that frequently, even when the system should be idle, KDE's
> > CPU monitor applet shows that one of the two processors is fully loaded.
> >  When this happens, "top" blames the X process, showing it using around
> > 95% CPU.

> The next step would be to use a profiler, (such as
> sysprof or oprofile), to find out what functions are eating up all of
> the CPU.

Naturally, after recompiling all the X stuff with -O0 and debug info, the
problem seems to have gone away (or at least become much harder to trigger).
So I haven't managed to get a profile of the system exhibiting the problem
yet.  But thank you for the info, and I will report back if I ever succeed!

-Andy