What are the latest version numbers of Xorg 7.4 packages?

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 17 01:58:34 PDT 2009

2009/8/17 Sagara Wijetunga <sagara at tomahawk.com.sg>:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:

>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/modular/tree/module-list.txt?id=XORG-7_4
>>
>> That appears to be a list of versions that built with 7.4 -
>> which may be unrelated to compatibility.
>>
> Yep, this list seems to be very old, eg. I run Xorg 7.4 with
> xorg-server-1.5.3.
>
> What happened was, I installed latest of the "Xorg Protocol Headers" and
> turn out they are not compatible with latest of the "Xorg Libraries". That's
> why I need to know what are the latest of the Xorg 7.4.

I would apply the following rules:

1.  the protocol header versions must match exactly (as each xorg
version will rely on each of these having a particular interface --
both the server/libraries and the clients);
2.  the fonts can be any version (I don't see how changes here could
cause breakages);
3.  the libraries, drivers and applications should match at least the
first two version numbers (i.e. revisions to the patch number *should
not* break anything);

If you are wanting to update to newer modules, you will need to
upgrade to the latest Xorg 7.5 candidate (or latest git version).

Also, according to the log for that file, only 7.4 updates have been
applied, so you might want to try the latest version of that
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/modular/tree/module-list.txt --
the last update is 2008-09-05).

- Reece