same linux installation, different font rendering

Phil Ezolt phillipezolt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 18:11:15 PDT 2009

Giacomo <giacomo.strangolino <at> elettra.trieste.it> writes:

> Hi to all.
> I am Giacomo S. from Elettra synchrotron radiation facility, Trieste, Italy.
>
> We use to develop Qt GUIs on a kubuntu system.
>
> The development process is as follows:
>
> 1. develop the application on machine A;
>
> 2. install the application on machine B, where it has to be run.
>
> Machine A and B have been installed from the same installation CD:
>
> -> same X environment/libraries
> -> same nvidia X driver (official NVIDIA, to support multi screen)
> -> same qt libraries
> -> same compiler/libc libc++...
>
> The problem is that launching the same panel on machine B shows a different
> font rendering with respect to machine A, producing unwanted changes in the
> global layout of the graphical interface elements.
>
> Although installations are made from  the same source and should be totally
> equivalent, I have to add that machine B has a 4 output video card.
> Machines A and B have the same nvidia drivers installed.
>
> Which is the way to follow to try to solve the issue?
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
>
> Giacomo.

Giacomo,

I'll be that you have different DPI settings on each of the machines.

That will influence how the fonts are rendered.

You can check with "xdpyinfo | grep 'dots'"

(FWIW.  I've seen "Nouveau" vs. "Nvidia" drivers set different values for
this...  Possibly multi-screen is changing that value for the same nvidia driver
on different machines.  To fix it, you can hard-code it in gnome.  There may be
some nvidia driver setting to do it server wide.)

Cheers,
--Phil