Fix focus follow mouse usability problem

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Wed Aug 5 05:47:28 PDT 2009

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:08:54 +0200
Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> wrote:

> Harald Braumann wrote:
> > If it's not possible yet, are there plans to implement such
> > functionality in the X server? Like sending an event whenever the
> > pointer stops?
> Well, X is in pretty much the same situation here; it just knows when
> the mouse moves, or when it did so last time (plus something else
> happens).
>
> There is a distinct advantage the server has, namely, it knows more
> detail. So it could do a better job than a client/wm. But still that's
> far from perfect, which I guess is why reading tea leaves has been
> left to the client.

I agree completely, but the question is: does the client have all the
tea leaves to read from? Here's where my knowledge of the technical
details is not deep enough. From what I understand, the WM would have
to grab the mouse (probably bad) and then receive all motion events
(maybe a problem over slow links).

> A possible alternative could be to synthesize inferred proximity from
> the driver and make $WM use that. This however doesn't exactly solve
> the problem, is hard to do (especially above the driver), so I guess
> devs will hate it.

Cheers,
harry