Detecting the used keyboard driver

Marvin Raaijmakers marvin.nospam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 00:26:20 PDT 2009

The XClient is not doing the wrong thing. I am not talking about an X
keycode to X key symbol binding. The first program changes the kernel
keycode (so not the X keycode), that is bound by the keyboard driver
inside the kernel, to the scancode of a key. The when a key is
pressed, the kernel driver receives the scancode from the physical
keyboard. It then translates this scancode to the kernel keycode,
which it then sends to the X server. The (driver inside) X server
receives this kernel keycode that it then converts to an X keycode.
For the evdev X input driver for example:
X_keycode = 8 + kernel_keycode
My program does not bind an X key symbol to the X keycode, since that
is not needed for grabbing a key (XGrabKey() takes the key's keycode
as an argument).

- Marvin