Sluggish 2D with radeon Xpress 200M

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Apr 28 17:25:28 PDT 2009

On 27 Apr 2009, Damien Mir told this:
> How can I see more precisely what eats CPU inside the Xorg process ?

If you have debugging symbols installed for your X server (they tend to
be a separate package) the GNOME 'sysprof' tool will do the magic for
you, and is pretty much idiot-proof (it took me a few seconds to figure
out how to use it, and I never did work out how to use oprofile).

(It includes a kernel module you have to compile and install.)

It's a system-wide profiler, but if X really is eating machine time, it
should be near the top of the list. (It shows what functions inside each
process eat time, on a process-by-process basis, most expensive
processes first.)