Does Xorg need the kernel's DRM?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 22 11:56:20 PDT 2009

Ick.  I'd avoid doing 'make headers_install' ... I know that the
kernel headers have had some nasty conflicts with userspace, so I'd
trust your distro's patched headers (Gentoo has sys-kernel/linux-
headers for example) over anything installed with 'make
headers_install' straight from the kernel source.

The main reason to install those headers is for recompiling glibc
anyways...

So I guess I should ask what you're trying to do.  If you just want to
get DRI working, don't install the headers from the kernel tree,
enable DRM in the kernel, install libdrm,  install mesa with DRI
drivers for your video card, and install the most recent X11 drivers
for your video card.