[Intel-gfx] Screen Corruption On Intel GM45

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Apr 16 17:34:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:04:36 +0100
Mike Lothian <mike at fireburn.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've noticed some horrible screen corruption using the lastest git
> xorg & intel stack with in X.
>
> I've made the screen usable by booting with i915.modeset=0 with
> Linus's latest tree (this just gives me a back screen with the
> intel-next tree)
>
> I think the problem surfaced the same time as the tiling patches
> appeared - is there a way to disable tiling to test this?
>
> My 2.6.29 and last weeks git kernels would refuse to startx for very
> long not allowing kde to start (it was possible to recognise the
>
> The latest intel-next tree allows KDE to start WITH the corruption now
> when KMS is enabled. When I VT switch the consoles look fine, it's
> only X that's corrupted
>
> Hope this isn't too random a bug report

On GM45 you'll need
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel.git;a=commit;h=f544847fbaf099278343f875987a983f2b913134
which is currently in Eric's drm-intel-next branch.  Otherwise in a KMS
config the 2D driver will try to use a tiled buffer but the kernel
won't set it up properly and you'll just get corruption.