Matrox G550 dual head crashes 1.5.2 server

Dieter und Sigrid Henskes ds.henskes at t-online.de
Wed Apr 15 01:14:12 PDT 2009

I run a Matrox G550 card in dual head mode. This worked fine under Xorg 7.2 (
Linux Kernel 2.6.22.5-3 in SUSE 10.3 ). But this crashes the Server 1.5.2
under Xorg 7.4 in SUSE 11.1 ( Linux Kernel 2.6.27.7-9 ). Matrox Support tells
me their driver does not support the current Xorg-Server.

I tried to install xorg-server-X11R7.2-1.2.0. But this will not compile under
the 7.4 environment. Now I should like to install the complete Xorg 7.2 but I
do not find a comprehensive installation package in the Xorg download area.
The src directory contains lots of small tar-files. Is there anywhere
complete 7.2 release?

Do I stand a chance to succeed with my plan to install 7.2 under Linux 2.6.27,
or are there hidden dependencies between Xorg and the Kernel?

Should I choose another card?

Best regards

Dieter
--