mouse pointer acceleration without threshold?

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Apr 12 04:11:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

you may want to read this:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration

It is geared towards development, but also contains a lot of end-user
info as well.

 > with a constant acceleration (e.g. for gaming)? Something like
I'm not sure what you mean by 'constant acceleration'. This isn't really
possible, because it means skipping pixels, which we don't want. Linear
acceleration is likely what you want, i.e. the linear profile.

> 'xset m 3 0' doesn't work, AFAICS. 'xset m 1 0' does work, but this
> is way too slow on a big screen.
"Doesn't work" or is not what you want? 'xset m 1 0' is a direct
translation from mouse to screen, if that's too slow, your only chance
is acceleration. Especially for gaming, you're unlikely to want to skip
pixels.

'xset m 3 0' is a bit much acceleration, you can set a rational: 'xset m
24/10 0'

Maybe your device can be set for a higher DPI value, this would probably
be the only way to achieve constant acceleration. And, though I really
can't recommend it, if you're using the mouse driver (not evdev), it has
a "Sensitivity" option. Sensitivity > 1 should give you constant
acceleration, but at the cost of precision (skipping pixels).