Documentation?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Apr 9 10:32:33 PDT 2009

Le jeudi 09 avril 2009 à 11:16 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> On 04/09/2009 11:10 AM, Jim Gettys wrote:
> >
> > Since when you are doing certain few applications (actual WSIWYG layout,
> > or the use of the screen as a ruler, which we do on OLPC), you really do
> > want the actual DPI; it's just we *also* need to know the typical
> > viewing distance.....
>
> You have a very good point here.  I promoted redefining DPI to be magical
> scale-factor before, but now I understand that that's not the right approach.
>   I'll keep that in mind when working with David on resolution-independence
> support in GTK+ later this year.

I'm glad to hear this. Magic people do not understand just leads to
generalised mis-setting. Actual physical screen distance is something
people won't be tempted to abuse (or at least will be aware of abusing
when they do it).

It could probably be generalised to other peripherals BTW ; most
(hardware) multichannel setups allow setting speaker distance for
example. So probably something to do at the hal (or successor) level,
not in X itself.

--
Nicolas Mailhot