PseudoColor and DirectColor visuals (was Re: Documentation?)

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Thu Apr 9 09:48:00 PDT 2009

Patrick O'Donnell wrote:
>> The RENDER extension already has mechanisms for copying PseudoColor
>> pixmaps to TrueColor displays, but it does not allow you to use your own
>> colormap.
>
> This sounds a bit more promising, though.  I guess I'll have to read
> up on RENDER.  Could you clarify "it does not allow you to use your own
> colormap"?  Is there a default PseudoColor colormap (writable) that is
> uses, or is it a fixed colormap, and it's thus not really PseudoColor
> conversion that it's doing but StaticColor.

If the default visual is PseudoColor, there will be a few writable color
cells left in the default colormap. But in that case, you've already got
a PseudoColor visual and don't need RENDER. If the default visual is not
PseudoColor, every RENDER format that has a colormap will have one that
is fully pre-allocated. That makes it effectively, as you say, StaticColor.

Hence the part you trimmed about needing to improve RENDER slightly
before it would be useful for your purposes.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://www.opentext.com/connectivity