Documentation?

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Thu Apr 9 09:29:31 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 10:29 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > Someday somehow I'll try to do some tests to check whether that's
> > really true with a better optimized protocol, because right now
> > everything that uses xft over a ssh tunnel is an horrible pain in the
> > ass,
>
> I don't know what problem you are seeing.
>
> Over ssh in particular, with compression (-C), performance is much, much
> better with client side fonts than it ever was with server side fonts.

I'd hate to sound as trollish as some in this thread, but there I have
to agree with Olivier: GTK2 apps are unusable over an "ssh -C -Y" tunnel
whereas core-fonts apps are.
I dunno exactly why, but I remember distinctly when client-side fonts
were switchable in GTK, and the perf hit over ssh (over an ADSL link)
was big.

	Xav