PseudoColor and DirectColor visuals (was Re: Documentation?)

Patrick O'Donnell pao at ascent.com
Wed Apr 8 16:00:02 PDT 2009

>Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:36:29 -0700
>From: Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM>
>
>Are there any systems in which you can write a million colors to a
>PsuedoColor colormap?   I've not often seen PseudoColor supporting
>more than 8-bit/256 colors in the real world.

I saw a 16-bit PseudoColor visual once, even recently.  Too bad it
didn't really work.  (Can't recall the server that offered it.)

I presumed the million color writes were to a DirectColor visual,
though.  I suppose the juxtaposition of my comments may have been
misleading.

Speaking of which -- the applications I'm maintaining are wedded to
using a writable color map, which has always been PseudoColor, which,
as you point out, pretty much means 8-bit.  I've been toying with
expanding the apps' repertoire to accepting a DirectColor visual, but
I've noticed that not a lot of servers actually offer one.  Would I be
wasting my time adding in the necessary support for DirectColor?
(Supporting TrueColor, alas, would be a royal pain, given the design
of the apps.)

		- Patrick