Documentation?

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Tue Apr 7 15:37:36 PDT 2009

Mark Wagner wrote:

> Thanks.  Is there any documentation on the best way to do various
> high-level tasks

Xlib is all about low-level tasks, and very intentionally leaves
high-level tasks to the various toolkits. In order to get much lower
level than Xlib, you'd have to use write() directly on the socket...

>, such as drawing images?  One of the big things I
> need to update is the toolkit's image-handling code: right now, a
> simple JPEG splashscreen takes seven seconds to draw.

Seven seconds! The last time I saw a splashscreen take that long to
draw, the app was doing a million XSetForeground/XDrawPoint pairs,
instead of one single XPutImage.

Without knowing exactly what you're doing, it is difficult to suggest
improvements.

> A good howto on
> dealing with copy/paste would also be useful.

As far as I know, not much has changed since the ICCCM was last updated
~15 years ago, aside from newer apps preferring the UTF-8 encoding for text.

ICCCM: http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-2.html#s-2
UTF8_STRING:
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/UTF8_STRING/UTF8_STRING.text

Peter Harris