uinput devices

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 10:09:33 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+xorg at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Tomas Carnecky wrote:
>
>> If you have a hal-enabled xserver,
>
> How do I check this?
>
>> If you want to use xorg.conf, the best way is to refer
>> to the device by bus/vendor/product or the unique identifier. Your
>> device doesn't seem to have a unique identifier, but maybe it's not
>> possible in uinput. But if your bus/vendor/product is always the same,
>> simply use that.
>
> Unfortunately, all I get is /dev/input/event10 which  I don't trust
> to stay constant. There is no /dev/input/by-id/ or by-path entry.

You'd have to talk to udev/kernel people to figure out ways to
persistently identify uinput devices. You can try running "udevadm
info" on your device to see if there are properties you can match on.
Then create a new udev rule with SYMLINK+="myinputdev" or whatever.

Or look at /etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-input.rules and see if you
can wedge uinput in there somewhere. (This might be in
/lib/udev/rules.d in newer releases)

--
Dan