Replacing a window icon in X11?

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Wed Apr 1 15:43:50 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 17:53 -0400, Wirawan Purwanto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today most window managers has an area on the top left corner of the
> window decoration which shows a small bitmap, which in Windows world
> called "icon". I wonder if there is any way for an external program, if it
> knows the window ID of a given X11 window, to change that image to
> something else.

This is a function of the 'window manager', and not the x server.
Enlightenment-0.17 ( http://www.enlightenment.org ) is one such window
manager that allows you to select your own icons for applications, and
match them via window class, window name, etc. In fact it's quite
themable and configurable.

Dan