Does touchpads have buttons?

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 05:15:45 PDT 2008

2008/9/29 Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>:
> evdev already has the code for device properties in e.g. draglock.c. Best to
> just check it but maybe wait a day or so, I have changes in the pipe that
> restructure the use of DP in evdev. The API is the same, but the handler
> registration is a bit different.

So, I'm looking into this code at the moment. First question: does
this require an X server from git? I'm using what's in Ubuntu
Intripid, which should be v. 7.4. Just to figure out the basics of the
'xinput' tool, I tried to set the Middle Button Timeout of my external
usb mouse, as explained in
http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/07/input-device-properties.html. I get:

  $ xinput --list-props "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"
  Device 'Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse':
  X Error of failed request:  BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device
    Major opcode of failed request:  146 (XInputExtension)
    Minor opcode of failed request:  37 ()
    Serial number of failed request:  13

Does this mean I need a newer server?

Søren