224MB for textures on Intel 950GM

JOSE ANTONIO ANDUJAR CLAVELL jandujar at gigames.es
Mon Sep 29 08:18:14 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm developing a game with uses a lot of textures and something goes wrong with 224MB memory allocation for the intel 950GM using the driver i915.

I developed a tool to "compress" some textures and see the amount of memory used for my game.

On windows, with the Intel's driver, I can play my game that uses 180MB for textures, but this game doesn't work on the linux box, because is too slow.

I think there is a problem with the DVMT (Dynamic Virtual Memory Technology) on the linux. It seems that the linux box can only use 128MB of fixed Memory, and cannot use the 224 of Max memory. (BIOS set to DVMT 224MB)

I forced VideoRam to 229376 (224MB) on X.org but no luck.

¿I need to patch the kernel or activate some driver option, so I can use the 224MB of Shared video RAM?

I attached some information about my linux box.

I'm running a debian etch.

I apologized for my English.

Thank's

"La información contenida en este correo electrónico es confidencial y está dirigida exclusivamente a el/los receptor/es que aparecen como destinatarios. Si reciben este e-mail por error, rogamos contacten con el remitente y borren de su ordenador el mensaje y el material anexo que pueda contener, no estando permitido su uso, modificación, copia, distribución, almacenamiento y/o revelación total o parcial por cualquier medio. El remitente no asume ningún tipo de responsabilidad si este correo electrónico pudiera contener algún virus informático que hubiese escapado a nuestro exhaustivo control."

"The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended for the recipient/s only. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify us immediately by reply and then delete it and the annexed material that may contain from your system, not being allowed its modification, copy, distribution, storage and/or total or partial disclosure by any means. The sender does not assume any responsibility in case this e-mail could include any computer science virus that may have escaped our exhaustive control."