Does touchpads have buttons?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Sep 29 01:04:01 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:42:22AM +0200, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>   I'm trying to differentiate touchpads from touchscreens in the evdev
> driver. Both types of devices has absolute axis, and emit the
> BTN_TOUCH signal. So, I need something else to tell them apart.
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to a touchpad (the only one I have
> is broken), so I can't figure out if such a device has other
> interesting properties. So, my question is: does touchpads have
> buttons, i.e. do they emit BTN_LEFT? Touchscreens don't (at least the
> ones using the 'usbtouchscreen' kernel module doesn't), so I might be
> able to use this as a differentiator.

Here's the output of my touchpad, it advertises LMR button.
I'd say that most if not all touchpads have a physical button too, so no button would probably be a good indicator for a touchscreen.

whot at taz:~$ sudo ./evtest /dev/input/event5
Input driver version is 1.0.0
Input device ID: bus 0x11 vendor 0x2 product 0x7 version 0x81b1
Input device name: "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 272 (LeftBtn)