synaptics touchpad vertical motion faster than horizontal

Tero Saarni tero.saarni at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 10:16:45 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 19:49, Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I have a laptop with Synaptics touchpad that feels "out of control"
>> even after playing with the parameters for a couple of nights.  I
>
> One of the important thing with synaptics is that it does acceleration,
> which is also done by the server. You can disable the server-side accel with
> xinput or xset (the latter is not device-specific!), the driver-side with
> parameters MinSpeed and MaxSpeed (or so) being equal.

I've disabled acceleration with xset m 1 1 and set both MinSpeed and
MaxSpeed to 0.1.  The pointer moves the same distance vertically and
horizontally but as the touchpad is twice as wide as it is tall I
would have expected it to travel twice the distance horizontally.
This observation matches with the minimum and maximum coordinates
returned by synclient -m which I believe aren't affected by
acceleration anyway.

--
Tero