"Don't know how to use device"

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:09:24 PDT 2008

2008/9/26 Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak at arcor.de>:
> Am Freitag, den 26.09.2008, 13:21 +0200 schrieb Søren Hauberg:
>> +    if (has_axes) {
>> +        pInfo->flags |= XI86_POINTER_CAPABLE | XI86_SEND_DRAG_EVENTS
>> |
>> +            XI86_CONFIGURED;
>> +        if (has_buttons) {
>> +            xf86Msg(X_INFO, "%s: Configuring as mouse\n",
>> pInfo->name);
>> +           pInfo->type_name = XI_MOUSE;
>> +        } else if (pEvdev->flags & EVDEV_TOUCHPAD) {
>> +            xf86Msg(X_INFO, "%s: Configuring as touchscreen\n",
>> pInfo->name);
>> +           pInfo->type_name = XI_TOUCHSCREEN;
>> +        }
>>      }
>
> If (has_axes && !has_buttons && !(pEvdev->flags & EVDEV_TOUCHPAD)), then
> pInfo->type_name seems to stay uninitialized.

That also happens now. Just for the record: I'm not saying the patch I
send should actually be applied, I'm just posting it to illustrate the
current problem with differentiating touchscreens from touchpads. And
if such devices needs to be handled differently, then we need to be
able to differentiate them. So, any ideas on how I can differentiate
them would be very welcome. The only thing I can think of is to change
the kernel modules to somehow let us know that the device is a
touchscreen. But both kernel and X stuff are new to me, so perhaps I'm
just missing the obvious...

Søren