"Don't know how to use device"

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 03:03:08 PDT 2008

2008/9/26 Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de>:
> Søren Hauberg wrote:
>>
>> (WW) TSC-10 DM TSC-10 DM: Don't know how to use device
>
> Simply lookup evdev. Your kernel driver doesn't advertise buttons I guess,
> so evdev thinks it can't handle it. Adding your case in EvdevProbe should do
> the trick. The problem might become generating 'buttons' though.

Okay, I don't know how I missed that -- thanks :-)
So, the 'usbtouchscreen' kernel only announces that it sends
BTN_TOUCH, which is indeed the only thing it sends. The problem is
that I can't just change how things work in the evdev X11 driver as
that will most likely cause problems for people with touchpads. So,
what is the proper solution? Should the touchscreens send a different
signal (e.g. BTN_LEFT or possibly a new one called BTN_SCREENTOUCH)?

Søren

P.S. Also CC'ing the list -- hope that's okay