Getting xorg-7.4 from git ?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 09:52:42 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Pavel Troller <patrol at sinus.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>  I would like to ask, whether it is possible to get a 7.4 release sources
> from a set of modules, downloaded with a standard git_xorg script. I don't
> want to download all the modules again, I would like to make a local copy
> of the whole x.org source directory and then apply some "magic" on one of
> them, to change from master branches to the particular tags, required for
> every module. My knowledge of git is just a very basic, I don't know even
> a command, which does this for a single package; otherwise, I would be able
> to write a script doing it using the list of modules myself.
>  Any hint would be very appreciated.

I don't think this will be easily possible. It's easy to checkout a
particular tag in git. In xserver, for instance,

$ git checkout xorg-server-1.5.1

And then build as you would from master.

However, you'll have to figure out a mapping from the released tarball
versions to the associated tag in git. I also don't know if
git_xorg.sh or build.sh support building from particular tags. It
might be possible with jhbuild.

Building from tarballs should be much more straightforward if you just
want to get Xorg-7.4. There are lots of scripts floating around the
net, but here's one in particular:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/modular/tree/build-from-tarballs.sh

--
Dan