SMI 501 local bus driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 07:23:10 PDT 2008

2008/9/25 Christian Pössinger <poessinger at mixed-mode.de>:
> Hello *,
>
> an ongoing project requires a device driver for an smi501 graphics chip
> wired via local bus. Former posts about this topic on this list didn't
> come to any conclusion
> (http://www.nabble.com/SM501-in-non-pci-environment-td6967527.html).
>
> I managed to remove the Pci code from the xf86-video-smi501 driver. The
> driver now starts up, but I receive strange warnings about default modes
> (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan), followed by some SCR register
> output. After all the screen comes up and shows me a ?weird? symbol in the
> top left corner, look here:
> http://www.picstar.de/data/24-9-2008/DSC00203.JPG
>
> When running the Xorg Server with my driver I can see the mouse movement
> in the console, but nothing happens to my lcd display. Anyone arround with
> a good idea?

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade is doing the work on the siliconmotion
driver at the moment.  He may know more about local bus issues.  FWIW,
the kernel sm501 FB driver supports both pci and local bus
configurations as well as both outputs.  So if worse comes to worst,
you could use the fbdev ddx on top of that (assuming you are using
Linux).

Alex