Poll: Should Xorg change from using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to something harder for users to press by accident?

mcr at simtone.net mcr at simtone.net
Wed Sep 24 08:45:12 PDT 2008

    Jason> It would work fine for me.  But it's not good enough for most
    Jason> users, since most Xorg users don't know how to edit their
    Jason> xorg.conf files.

  The question was asked wrong.

  The question should not have been, "should we change ZAP key from
CTL+ALT+BS to something else", but rather:

or:
  "Why do distros that are worried about this problem not enable
  DontZap by default"

or:
  "Under what conditions do ordinary users need to have a magic kill
  key like CTRL+ALT+BS, and how should it operate?"

(I had to remove the Zap code from Xvnc4 right in the code, because
Xvnc4 doesn't have an xorg.conf that it reads... and we had this problem
where CTRL would sometimes stick, and the user would hit SHIFT-BS...)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr at simtone.net>
Director -- Consumer Desktop Development, Simtone Corporation, Ottawa, Canada

SIMtone Corporation fundamentally transforms computing into simple,
secure, and very low-cost network-provisioned services pervasively
accessible by everyone.  Learn more at www.simtone.net and www.SIMtoneVDU.com