Poll: Should Xorg change from using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to something harder for users to press by accident?

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 19:37:31 PDT 2008

dan <dan <at> entropy.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:33:49 +0530, CyberOrg <cyberorg <at>
> opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> > Since openSUSE 11.0 users have to hit ctrl+alt+backspace twice quickly
> > to kill X.
>
> The problem with this is that when I want to kill X, it's usually because
> it's crashed, and I have enough trouble getting it to respond to *any*
> keypresses. Considering the CPU is 100% busy with X, is it going to
> register my multiple 'quick' Ctrl-Alt-Backspace keypresses?

I don't know.  IMO a few people should each independently run an experiment to
out how often zap_warning_xserver.diff prevents zapping when zapping would
otherwise have been possible.  Then they should report back to us.  But what's
the proper way to simulate an average situation that would make users want to
zap?  And who volunteers to be one of the experimenters?

> Seriously, we need a way to kill X, and no matter what way that is, some
> user will manage to 'accidentally' trigger it ( a million-monkeys-type
> situation ). We've currently got a way to kill X, and I can't see how much
> more obscure and difficult we can make it without requiring > 2 hands. I
> don't see a case for changing things.

The more difficult we make zapping, the smaller the number of people who'll
accidentally zap.  The smaller the number of people who accidentally zap, the
better.