Building Xephyr

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Sep 23 05:57:00 PDT 2008

Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> I am new to building X. I'd like to take a shot at building Xephyr from git.
>>
>> I've been through the instructions on
>> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git but xserver doesn't appear to have
>> xephyr.
>>
>> Is there a list somewhere of what module contains which part?  Where do
>> I find xephyr?
>>

> Xephyr is part of kdrive, itself part of xserver. Build it with
>
> configure --disable-xorg --disable-xinput --enable-kdrive --disable-dmx
> --disable-xnest --disable-xvfb

OK, I have Xephyr.  Now I have lots of newbie questions.  First, my setup:

I am running the bulk of xorg from debian lenny.  I am running the
nVidia binary drivers.  I've compiled Xephyr from git and installed the
swrast_dri.so lib in /usr/local/lib/dri.  I am running the git Xephyr.

Xephyr starts up just fine. but I'm seeing some confusing behavior.

glxinfo tells me that I don't have DRI.  How do I confirm that xephyr
was built with DRI?

mythtv and mplayer run fine using xv.  I thought xv depended on DRI?  Or
do I have this completely wrong?

compiz won't run because 'Root visual is not a GL visual'.

Is any / all of this because of the mixed nVidia binary and SGI glx
server/client?  Or is it because I am running xorg 1.4 with the git
(1.5) Xephyr on top?

Here's a partial output from glxinfo under Xephyr.

name of display: :2.0
display: :2  screen: 0
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe,
    GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
    GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
    GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_present_video,
    GLX_NV_multisample_coverage
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.3-devel)