How to implement alternate zap key idea

Jaymz Julian jaymz at artificial-stupidity.net
Tue Sep 23 00:24:25 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:13:49PM -0700, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> We are not talking about a reboot, we are talking about killing, and
> optionally restarting, the graphics subsystem. This is not something any
> casual user should *ever* have to do. Ever. If somebody *needs* to kill
> X using an emergency key combo, and they are not devs, then something is
> wrong somewhere down the line.

Lots of things "shouldn't" happen, with computers.  One day, we will
make them bug free.  And no-one will ever have to kill X again, or it
won't be the easiest way out at least.  Or maybe reboots will be
fast enough to not bother for users.  At which point you can
ctrl-alt-del again, but then we'd be having the same discussion
anyhow...

Needs more elephants.

	--jj