what card is well supported? recommendations?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Sep 22 02:27:29 PDT 2008

As I'm tired of constant fighting with nvidia (and nvidia obsoleted my
current graphics card, GeForce FX 5200), I'm looking for a graphics card
which has open drivers and is well supported.
If it matters, I use 32 bit Linux.

I looked a bit in X.org wiki, and it seems to me that Radeons with
chipsets R400 should be sufficient for me. Unfortunately it's hard for
me to find which chipset does a given Radeon card have (i.e. HD2400Pro -
does it have R400 chipset?).

I don't intent to play games, so 3D performance is not that important
(it should suffice for desktop effects though).

I'm looking for 2 cards.

Card 1:
- AGP
- supports dual-head (DVI + VGA outputs)
- proper 3D support
- passive cooling (no fans)

Card 2:
- old plain PCI
- proper 3D support
- passive cooling (no fans)

The intention is to put it into a multiseat workstation - where I
currently have a GeForce FX 5200 (configured for TwinView/dual head) and
an old SiS card.

If possible, I'm looking for new, still produced cards.

Do such cards exist? If so, do you have any recommendations?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org